Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Going Grocery Shopping Again

Day 23: What a day today was and its still not over yet. I can't wait for daylight to come. I started off by driving to the grocery store this afternoon. As soon as I got outside, I noticed an unusally low amount of zombies around. On my way to the store, I saw only a handful of them. I parked right up by the doors and started my shopping. I rounded a corner in the store with my second load in my cart and I stopped dead in my tracks. I could even see my truck anymore. There was a horde of zombies pounding on the glass doors trying to get in. Good thing I disabled the automatic doors. I went back around the corner, so that they couldn't see me to regroup and think of a plan. I filled my survival backpack with as much food as I could and set off to explore the store for another way out.

I didn't get very far when I heard the sound of glass breaking and I knew exactly what it meant. I didn't have much time to get out of here. I stumbled upon a door leading outside back by the loading docks. I opened it and peaked outside. There were zombies everywhere, but I thought I might have a chance of escape if I ran for it. I sprinted out the door and to the park across the street. They were coming out of the woodwork. I didn't know if I could make it back to the station on foot. To make matters worse, daylight was fading fast. I had to find someplace to hide and then I noticed a small building in the park and ran in that direction. I made it to the door and thank God it was unlocked. I threw it open and tumbled inside, exhausted from the sprint.

Right away I heard the distinctive sounds of a walking corpse and then the smell hit me. I fumble for my flashlight in my backpack and turned it on in the nick of time. About two feet away from me was a zombie. I instinctively raised the flashlight and brought it down on the zombie's head. 4 hits later, it was laying on the ground with its brains spilling out. All I can say is thank goodness it was one of those heavy duty flashlights. I took a look around and saw that I was in some kind of store room. All of a sudden, there was a banging on the door and I was brought back to reality. I locked the door and sat on the concrete floor, not knowing what to do next. All I could do was listen to the zombies outside. I have no idea how many are out there, but it doesn't really matter. It only takes one of them to end it all. Now I might die in this glorified store shed surrounded by zombies just because I ran away from my truck. It was my only means of transportation. I just hope I can at least make it through the night and then come up with a plan when its light outside. Thats as long as the sounds of the undead don't drive me insane.

1 comment: